- Stand-alone anticoagulant therapy fails to prevent Post thrombotic syndrome in a significant proportion of patients with acute proximal DVT,leading to significant disability, quality of life impairment, and socioeconomic costs Endovascular treatment
- Patients with iliofemoral DVT are at particularly high risk for Post thrombotic syndrome and late disability.
- Treatment strategies that feature early thrombus removal may prevent Post thrombotic syndrome
- CDT has significant potential toprevent Post thrombotic syndrome and offers distinct advantagescompared with surgical venousthrombectomy, systemic thrombolysis, and anticoagulation alone.
- Adjunctive CDT is likely to providefaster symptom relief than anticoagulationalone and does not increase the risk of symptomatic PE.